Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sing Off Day 2 - Two Snaps in a Z Formation

Dartmouth Aires -- What a great song choice. Higher Ground has so much going on instrumentally, it's perfect for an a capella song. These guys were awesome. My favorite was the one dressed like David Alan Grier's character on In Living Color in the Men on Film Sketch. Hated It!

Pentatonix - ET   I have never heard this song. It wasn't exactly a memorable one. Neither Jen nor I liked the girl's voice at all. Poor song choice will do you in!

Sonos - Wicked Game.  No, no, no, no. You just can't speed up that song, it's not allowed. Probably one of the best vocals of all time, somewhere short of One More Try by George Michael, but not that far behind. Very few songs actually make me feel emotions (very few things make me feel emotions, let's be honest) but that one you can just feel Chris Isaak's pain. And then Sonos goes and speeds it up. I award them no points, and may God have mercy on their souls.

Messiah's Men - People Get Ready   What a great choice. These guys aren't classically trained or anything like that, but I thought it was really good. Nice story too, coming from Liberia. How did the entire singing group get to America together?

Results -- Sonos made it through? What? Sara Bareilles should recuse herself, I smell a rat. Oh well.

Last year's champ Committed comes in, sings for 30 seconds, and blows everyone else in this competition away.

The Collective -- Rolling in the Deep   I hate that girl's voice. Hate it. I guess it started off ok, but it just didn't work, and it didn't seem like a team effort, it felt more like her with a backup group. I did like backup singer Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster) though.

Soul'd Out -- Hey, they're just kids. Just like Ben Folds, I loved the Aquarius part, and the Let the Sunshine In part was terrible. Still, they were better than the Collective.

North Shore - Runaround Sue   Well, old men, that's how you do it. First off, gotta love the heavy Baaaahhstan accent. Wicked awesome. Go Red Sawks. Loved this version, especially the old bass guy with the nicotine stained mustache.

Deltones -- Feels Like Home   Whoa, that was pretty, pretty, pretty good if I may quote Larry David. I'm still scratching my head as to what that sounds like with Randy Neuman singing it. Probably my favorite out of this group of 4.

Results -- Goodbye, little kids. Nice touch singing Ozzy on an a capella show though.

This show is better than the X Factor so far, which is scary. What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment