Tuesday, September 20, 2011

SingOff Episode 1 - A Super Tight Package

Isn't a cappela music fun? We had a group at Truman St. called the True Men, and they were awesome. They did a version of Gangsta's Paradise all about the town our school was located in ("Kirksville Paradise") and also a song about how girls are insane. Anyway, they inspired me to illegally download a tremendous amount of college a cappela group songs, my favorites are the medleys because it shows how creative these groups can be. Let's see if the SingOff contestants are creative, or if they just pick some current song I've never heard and sing it with beat boxing.

Yellow Jackets - Wavin Flag.  They wore yellow jackets, which was a shocker. As we were watching it, we kept waiting for someone to hold up little baby Simba, but it never happened. Pass.

Fannin Family - Perfect.   Nice story but they just weren't good enough. Jen thought they all looked like they were within 3 years of each other in age, not sure how Ma and Pa Fannin pulled that off.

Afro Blue - Put Your Records On   I loved the lead's low voice, but didn't like the high parts at all. However, they were wayyy better than the first two. Early favorites.

Delilah -- Grenade   Wow, now that's how you do it. No way anyone can do better than that. Loved the '80s lead singer. I don't think it was healthy for those Mormon boys to see these girls perform.

Result: They sent the Fannins home, which is only fair. See ya, creepy small town family.

Cats Pajamas -- Some Kind of Wonderful   We both really like Sara Bareilles, she's funny and has insightful things to say, as opposed to last year's judge, Nichole Scherzinger (who is now on the X Factor). She mostly just said sultry things. Anyway, these guys did have a super tight package as Sara observed, but it was too happy for my tastes. I think that's what the judges were trying to say. Grand Funk sings that way more bluesy and it works. Gotta love the Branson angle though, maybe they know Yakov Smirnov! In Russia, you don't sing a cappela, a cappela sings you!

Urban Method -- Love the Way You Lie   I'm sorry, neither one of us enjoyed the rap angle. I just watched a Youtube clip of Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake doing a history of rap medley, and that was awesome. I just didn't like this, I'm more old school I guess. Maybe if they performed the Humpty Dance I would like it more.

Kinfolk 9 - Secrets   First off, if you live with your family in a garage, it's time to give up your dream of being a musician. Secondly, you shouldn't be able to afford that haircut. Jen thought he reminded her of Laurie Metcalfe, the aunt from Roseanne, which I thought was hilarious.

Vocal Point - Jump Jive and Wail    I really liked the lead singer's voice. I also liked how we learned more about the Mormon religion, specifically that group dates are ok (they're just asking for polygamy jokes aren't they? Well I'm not falling for it) and that you can't even say "can of ale", which is what Papa was actually in the icebox looking for. Rather you must say ginger ale, because not only can you not consume alcohol, you also cannot speak its name. Kind of like Lord Voldemort. Good job generally though.

Result: Cat's Pajamas goes home to throngs of old folks listening to boring oldies. Makes sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment